Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hawaii 1-0

Well, now that you've been properly introduced to Maui and have had time to digest some of its beauty, I am going to grace you with more details of my glorious vacation =)

I have to include fourteen days of fabulous-ness into a blog, so get ready. DO.NOT. BLINK!

Here we go...

My first real memory of being on a plane was of the time I traveled to Paris, France for a week trip with my french class in tenth grade. That would have been 1996, so 14 years ago! Wow. Anyway, if my memory serves me correctly we took off in a 747. It was the most amazing plane - I didn't even feel like we were flying. On the way home, I remember one of my friends was spazzing out because there was another plane off in the distance. I guess he thought it was going to hit us. I was so calm! I loved flying!

Fast forward five years to my junior year in college when I set off to study abroad in Paris. Big plane again, but this time a 777. I loved riding in luxury! The back of the seats had television screens so we could choose our own entertainment. Then my next flight was to Texas, and it was in a smaller plane. I didn't much care for it. I wanted the big plane with the five seats in the middle and 2 on each side. Next trip: Jamaica. Same thing, small plane! Jamaica round two: small plane! Soooooo when I climbed into our big 777 that would take us to Hawaii I almost sang out loud! It was majestic! And even better? The plane was only about half-full! My husband and I had an entire middle row to ourselves. Wa-freaking-hoo! Again, I barely knew we were lfying for most of the flight. This was due in part to the fact that big planes are like Lincoln's, you can hardly feel any bumps, but it was mostly due to the fact that I had taken a BONINE earlier that day and passed out almost immediately after take-off. There were no individual screens, but there was quite an array of music, courtesy of zune. I loved every minute of that flight. Except for when the pilot came on to say we had been rerouted due to storms and that we had a little bit of extra fuel...but not much. Why would he say that? We were going to HAWAII...across the Pacific Ocean!!! With nowhere to stop once flying over California!!! I really think he should have kept that bit of information to himself. Totally unnecessary.

Anyway, upon arriving in Hawaii and claiming our bags and rental car, we headed for the resort at Ka'anapali Shores with a quick stop at K-Mart for food supplies. Once at the condo resort, we checked in and were very pleasantly surprised by the condo we were given. Oceanfront with an oceanview from all windows! Feeling too tired to do any cooking, we dined at the resort restaurant where I had a delicious plate of chicken Marsala. It was at bedtime that my husband discovered he has poison ivy, so to separate beds we went. That loft came in mighty handy, I tell ya!

Our first full day in Maui had us scheduled the Old Lahaina Luau in the evening, so we spent the day at the beach right in front of our condo. The luau proved to be better than the last time we had gone four years ago. We sat with a family from Jacksonville, FL that seemed to be pretty nice, until the two teenagers opened their mouths. I couldn't believe how rude they were to their parents, especially in the company of other people. I mean, come on, your parents cart your sorry butt across the damn country for a Hawaiian vacation and you can't even act like you respect them? Ludicrous! I drank more than my share of Mai Tai's and even threw in a few Lava Flow's. De-Lish! I woke up in th emiddle of the night super dehydrated, but the bonus was that I got to watch four drunken swimmers almost drown in the Pacific Ocean. The following day was another relaxing beach day, which I used to read and listen to the calming sound of the ocean. The following day was quite an outdoor adventure, and I'll tell you ALL about it tomorrow but not without leaving you with a couple clues. See if you can identify the places shown in the pictures below:

No comments:

Post a Comment