Friday, December 3, 2010

TGIF and the search for the perfect shoe

Thank goodness it's Friday! Really. What. A. Week. It went by quickly, but it also felt especially long if that makes any sense at all.

In a previous post I wrote about how disappointed I was (and maybe still am) in the lack of comfortable, stylish, and affordable shoe options for teachers. We, like nurses, doctors, and other professionals, are on our feet all day. By the end of most days my heels, calves, knees, and sometimes back hurt from standing in mediocre shoes on an unforgiving tile floor for most of the day. Recently I noticed multiple teachers I work with wearing the same style shoe. After inquiring, I learned that those shoes are DANSKOs, a brand of expensive clog originally designed by a couple from Denmark. Every owner/wearer I spoke to swears that they are so comfortable they bought more than one pair. So, out of pain and desperation I bit the bullet and bought a pair. I have to say, so far I'm not convinced they are so wonderfully comfortable. I wore them around the store and it felt like I was walking on a hard wood block. How can that be good for my feet? I do like that they have a substantial arch, which I find most dress shoes lacking. I also like that they have a bit of a lift to them, because that will help me look taller without having to suffer through heels all day. I feel much older than 29 right now. Who thought I'd be searching for comfortable, practical shoes before my 30th birthday? Certainly not me. Happy almost-30th Birthday, Bridget, you now own a pair of plain black clogs. Whoopee!

If you have DANSKOs and love them (or don't love them), please comment below and tell me! I'm on the fence - do I keep (and give them a chance) or return?

1 comment:

  1. My mother has a pair or two of danskos, and she really likes them; my dad likes them as well, and he's on his feet all day as well. I've never worn them for an extended period of time, but I think they take some getting used to.

    ReplyDelete