Thursday, December 2, 2010

Old Man Winter

I've known for awhile that winter would rear its cold, snowy head eventually, but we've been so spoiled the past couple of years that I hoped it would hold off for a bit. Well, it's here and it looks like it's staying. So I shouldn't have been surprised by the bone-chilling cold air today. But I was. Time to break out the long, poofy bubble coat, which I bought for these cold New York winters.

By the way, for those of you who might think cold weather is something new for me, I grew up in Southern New York. The air was just as cold there. Could it be that in my old age I am becoming less tolerant to the cold weather? I blast the heat in my car until it gets so hot that when I move my arm my watch, which has been in the direct path of the heat vent, burns my skin. But I don't learn. Every day I do the same thing. I am THAT desperate to get warm. Right now I am curled up on my couch in my warm flannel pajamas with a super warm and buttery soft blanket wrapped around me. Between my body and the blanket, leaning against my stomach, is a microwavable heat bag. Most people stick it in the mic for about a minute and a half, I heat it for three minutes. And then reheat it again. My shower water is scalding hot. I even brush my teeth with hot water. I revel in sitting in the sun, feeling its warm rays on my body.

I think the snow is really pretty, especially when it clings to the trees and sparkles in the sun. I like tubing and want to try snow shoeing. I've gone cross-country skiing but I wasn't very good. Maybe I'll try that again this year. In the past I've enjoyed skiing. I even have a pair of skis engraved with my name - I know, LOOOOSER! But mostly I enjoy curling up on the couch with a heat bag, under a blanket with a cup of hot tea cradled in my hands watching a cheesy movie or reading a fast-paced book. Ah, the possibilities. For now, I'll welcome winter, cozy up to my heat bag, and remind myself to wear my poofy coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment