Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Let it rain, let it rain, let it RAIN

Notice how people are always so entertained by the weather? It's such a common conversation piece. There is something so exciting about storms, whether it be pouring rain, snow, wind,or thunderstorm. Right now it's about 50 degrees and raining, with strong gusts of wind making eerie noises through the house. It shouldn't be fascinating, but to me it is. If it was cold enough to snow, we would be in trouble! There are major flood warnings out through Thursday morning, and the local news channel is predicting massive power outages as a result of 50 mph winds. I don't think I want to know what a gust that strong feels like! Again, if this was snow I'd be wearing my pajamas inside out and backwards, flushing ice cubes down the toilet, putting cotton balls underneath my pillow, and running laps around the dining room table hoping desperately for a snow day. Wait, I think I just heard thunder. Or it could be the train (which also captivates me!). I think maybe the weather is so exciting to me because it's a force that cannot be controlled. Mother Nature is unstoppable (although I did hear recently about scientists that have devised a way to alter weather patterns and precipitation - very bad idea!), and her storms can be quite fierce and unpredictable. I mean, how often are weather predictions correct? More than half the time it seems that the meteorologists are taking their best guesses on the weather for any given day. Even storm predictions fall short. A prediction for a foot of snow really only drops 3 inches. A 5-inch snow prediction has left us with two feet. Is there no way to accurately predict the weather? If there isn't, that's fine, but let's not pretend there is by creating and using fancy technology like the Doppler system.

As a kid I was absolutely terrified of thunderstorms. At the first sound of thunder my entire body would stiffen and I'd break out in a cold sweat! If I was at home I would immediately retreat to the basement with my favorite teddy bear and a flashlight...all by myself, counting the seconds until it would all be over. Crazy, huh? My family thought I was absolutely nuts. My brother loved thunderstorms so much (either that or he just loved torturing me) that he would stand outside in a thunder and lightning storm, staring up at the sky. I attribute my fear to the day I was in the child seat on the back of my dad's bike and we were several miles from home. It started to thunder and I remember being really scared. It started lightning and pouring and I started screaming and crying. My dad says I totally freaked out. I think that is definitely the day my fear was born. My fear of thunderstorms has, for the most part, diminished - thank goodness! Now house centipedes have replaced that fear! (Ewwww!)

No comments:

Post a Comment