Monday, November 15, 2010

Frenchie French French French!

I may have already mentioned this, but I am absolutely infatuated with France and most things French. I have even idealized the French people, and often find myself making excuses for what others perceive to be rude French behavior. Maybe I was French in a past life.....

Anyway, I studied French in college and later enrolled at the Sorbonne in Paris while on a study abroad adventure. There were some trying days, but all in all it was a pleasant trip full of personal growth and discovery. And lots of baguettes! I came back from Paris in 2001 and graduated from college in 2002. In 8 years I have spoken little to no French, but find myself waking from dreams completely spoken in French. I have regretted not being able to continue my practice of the French language, and I do miss certain aspects of French culture. I've even been stalking novels that take place in France just so I can get my French "fix". Well, God has been listening to the silent wishes of my soul.

On Friday I learned that I would have the opportunity to teach both Social Studies AND Language Arts to a young boy from Madagascar, whose second language (and the language spoken in his previous school) is French. He speaks little English, so I was thrilled to get him in my classes. He speaks English as much as he can, and then sometimes asks for clarification in French. Today I explained the concept of a lake (remember where he is from - he understands it as a sea), and he told me "J'ai pas de gomme." It took me a minute, but eventually I realized he needed an eraser. Evidently I've forgotten the difficulty of bouncing back and forth between languages - not an easy feat, at least not yet. I do, however, love that I am able to communicate with him. And here's the best part: today he told me that my French "is very good"! Woo-hoo! Still got it...

No comments:

Post a Comment