Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Final Countdown


Well, I realized today that The Big Day, my 30th birthday, is less than one month away. On December 9th I will turn The Big 3-0. I can hardly believe I have been blogging for nearly ten months! In light of the upcoming event, I took some time today to ponder the idea of a birthday. In my mind, birthdays are celebratory. Why not celebrate the day one was born? I believe life is a gift, and a birthday is a perfect opportunity to be thankful for that life and celebrate it with the people who really make up that life: friends and family. Then I started to think about how we only celebrate that one day. I mentioned to someone that I would like to celebrate my birthday for an entire week. She suggested the entire month. At first I laughed at the ridiculousness of it, but then I stopped. Why NOT celebrate for the entire month? So, I made a decision. This year, the year that I turn "Dirty Thirty", I am going to celebrate my birthday for the entire month of December. What does that mean? It means I am going to do something to celebrate "me" each day for the entire month. It might be something small like taking the time to paint my nails, meditating, or giving myself an extra hour of sleep. Or it might be something bigger like having dinner with friends or going to a movie or show. I don't get to do all the things I enjoy because life gets in the way. That is no longer going to suffice as an excuse, at least for the month of December. I am thankful for my life, and I know that 30 has great things in store for me. I'm going to celebrate being 29 until December 9th, and then I'll celebrate being 30 until the 31st (an beyond, of course). Life is a blessing and I am very happy to be here. I plan to celebrate that blessing!

Countdown: 22 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment