Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween

Halloween. What can I say? Loved it as a kid, but can't really get into it as an adult.

I enjoy dressing up for work when everyone else participates also, but there's something a little creepy about adults without children handing out candy to other children. And while we're here, let's talk about that whole concept. Who came up with the idea of having kids go around to people's houses and beg for candy? It's a bit bizarre.

This year we had about 30 trick or treat-ers, give or take. I bought a large bag of candy at Sam's Club that had 110 pieces of Hershey's chocolate: Hershey's bars, Almond Joys, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, and Whoppers (malted milk balls). In past years I've been annoyed by the rudeness of trick-or-treaters: No thank-you's, no Happy Halloween's, and lots of asking for more candy than what they've been given. This year, however, I found the kids who came by to be more well-mannered. Only a handful of the kids stood there with bags still open after receiving their candy.

I do feel like there should be an age limit. I think my parents made me stop after 8th grade, and I think that's a good time. I don't enjoy opening the door to 6 foot tall masked figures begging for candy. There should also be a time limit. When Halloween falls on a Sunday or weeknight, it should be understood that trick-or-treating stops at 8 p.m. People have to get ready for work the following day and don't appreciate people in costume banging at their door late at night. And, why would someone allow their school-age trick-or-treating child to be up and out that late?

Maybe I'm turning into a humbug, or maybe my points are valid. I hope you all had a Happy Halloween!

PS - Do people in other countries celebrate Halloween? Is it similar to the way Americans celebrate?

1 comment:

  1. I was on a bus to Santiago de Compostela (in Spain) most of the day for Halloween last year, so I don't know/remember how folks celebrate it there, but at least I remember that Spain makes a bigger deal out of All Saints and All Souls Day, it being a predominantly Catholic country.

    ReplyDelete