Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Purple or Pink?

Rough day. My head hurt for most of it and I couldn't get a single productive thing done at work. All I want to do is collapse in my bed with a book. I'm never at a loss for something good to read, but today I got lucky. A book I saw at Barnes and Noble (and later ordered from Borders with a gift card) greeted me on my doorstep this afternoon. THAT put a smile on my face. The author is Robert I. Sutton, PhD, and I'll let you do some internet searching to figure out the title. I CANNOT WAIT to read it!

Here's the gist. We all come in contact with people that irritate us on a regular basis. We might even find ourselves saying, "What an asshole!" I find that I am feeling this way more and more lately, but it helps to surround yourself with positive people to offset the irritations caused by others. I seriously don't understand why people can't be nicer to each other. It seems like people are quite competitive with each other, and thus less likely to help each other. I feel like so many people just want so badly to get recognized for their accomplishments that they have no problems pushing other people out of the way via means of backstabbing, bullying, or pulling stunts to make others look bad (or they want attention off themselves so they blow other people in). And yet we continue to show signs of being a society of mediocrity. Here is my wish. I wish people would just do their job as it is defined and be helpful to others. I really don't think that's so hard. As a result, people would probably be happier. This might lead to people being less stressed and thus healthier. I think all of our lives would improve if we only stopped focusing on ourselves and how we are perceived by others, and instead started focusing on how our actions affect others. Let's be more considerate. Wear as many colors together as you can tomorrow to show your support of a kinder, happier, more unified society of people! (keep reading and you'll understand this)

When I logged onto Facebook this afternoon I noticed that apparently people were supposed to wear purple today to show support for the anti-bullying of gays. It turns out I had worn purple today. Coincidentally. But it was nice to know I had contributed to a positive movement in some way. I scrolled down the page a little ways and noticed that today is also Breast Cancer Awareness Day, which means we were supposed to wear pink in support. Who decides the dates of such clothing support, and why were they on the same day? My gut feeling is that since Breast Cancer Awareness has been around for years, today should have been pink day. How frustrating for people who wanted to support both causes! Purple and pink don't really go together well, unless they are in a patterned design. Not to mention the fact that most men don't own purple OR pink, so that eliminates most of their support. So again, who decides? And why the show of colors? How are the colors decided? If a person doesn't wear that color, is it assumed by others that he or she doesn't support that particular cause? I'm just confused....someone please explain.

I can't wait to hear about your Thursday outfit choices!

1 comment:

  1. Clothing is difficult!
    I donated money to the SPCA at school. Yet, not wearing pajamas made it seem to students and other teachers that I didn't support the cause. I would rather donate than spend the money on PJ's to wear to school. (My old t-shirts and shorts wouldn't have been teacher appropriate.)I agree that a visual sign is important and it brings people together. I guess we just need to realize that one's clothing does not determine what's in the heart.

    ReplyDelete