Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summer Trekking

Having the summer off is GREAT, and we sure are making the most of it! Today we went to a local state park called Fillmore Glen, where there is a stream that cascades into a beautiful waterfall, which is then damned to create a pool for people to swim. We bypassed the pool and opted for the gorge hike instead. You may be familiar with the infamous bumper stickers that say "Ithaca is GORGES". This park was not in Ithaca, but in Moravia - not far from Skaneateles. It was gorgeous, though! The hike was 1 1/2 miles, and there wasn't a single spot that I didn't think was not beautiful enough to capture on camera (too many negatives in that sentence probably!). We hiked to a point just short of the final destination and climbed down the embankment to sit on some flat rocks resting just above water level. My husband explored downstream a bit and even ventured into one of the naturally formed swimming holes. It was cold, but refreshing! Me, I stayed seated on my towel and read. The sound of the water flowing and rippling was almost enough to put me to sleep. I haven't felt that relaxed in a long time. Leave it to nature to find a way to calm my nerves and get my attention! In fact, I am so exhausted right at this moment that it's becoming difficult for me to construct complete sentences out of thoughts. If I keep still long enough and close my eyes I can still hear the faint sound of the rushing water. I bet this hike would be absolutely exquisite on an autumn day when the leaves are at peak changing color! I will post pictures tomorrow:)

Get out there and make the most of your summer! Then let me know what you did :)

1 comment:

  1. Try Buttermilk Falls hike. Fabulous and same serene feeling. Great photo op.

    ReplyDelete