Saturday, July 24, 2010

What I think about while I exercise

Normally when I'm exercising at the gym it's on a piece of cardio equipment: Arc Trainer, Elliptical, Stair Stepper, Bike, or Treadmill. And in those cases I'm usually reading something, whether it be the most recent Fitness Magazine or a book from the library (don't worry, I wipe the books down with disinfectant wipes before returning them), or listening to my MP3 player. That's right, I have not yet succumbed to buying an iPOD. I figure my MP3 player works and it holds way more songs than I'll ever like, so what's the point?

Anyway, today I branched out of my normal exercise routine and joined a class called Group Ride, which is supposed to be like spinning but more geared toward an actual road bike ride. Until today I considered myself to be in pretty decent cardio shape. Five minutes into the class and I was huffing and puffing and probably could have blown a house down had there been one in front of me. I found myself looking at the clock at the change of every song. The minutes were creeping by. So what was I thinking about? Let's see, when will this class end?; why did I decide to do this?; I could be leisurely working out on the Arc Trainer right now; What if I pass out, do you think I'll hit my head?; Maybe I should pass out; I could die and this would be my last activity on this earth; I'm sweating an awful lot, can you sweat fat off?; How many calories am I burning?; How does my butt look from behind? And then I looked at the clock and only three minutes had passed. I'm serious. It was only after I hit the halfway point in the class (1/2 hour) that I started to get control of my breathing. Then it wasn't SOOOO bad. In fact, I think I might even go back for more this week (am I really typing this????).

Does this make me a masochist?

No comments:

Post a Comment