Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fundamentally Wrong

So, I have to admit that I haven't been watching television lately because I've been too engrossed with reading, which I am finding to be much more entertaining. Why do I pay for cable? Anyway, this shouldn't come as too much of a surprise then when I mention that yesterday was the first I had heard of an extreme Christian fundamentalist pastor from Florida planning to burn Qurans on the anniversary of September 11th. I am sure that my jaw dropped open when I heard. Naturally, today I googled and youtubed and bbc'd everything I could find on this situation. I saw the request from President Obama on Good Morning America to cancel the plans, and I read the comments underneath the online articles detailing the situation. W.O.W. Some comments literally threw me decades back in time. I found myself thinking questions like: Can people really be that ignorant? I can't bring myself to repeat or copy those comments on this blog because they were so full of hatred and ignorance. We are a country that was founded on the principles of freedom and tolerance, so why is it that some people don't get that? I'm thinking we need to redesign our educational system to make sure those elements of our nation's history are embedded into people's brains.

1 comment:

  1. I follow John Green on Twitter, and he'd posted a link about the ALA protesting the Qurans, along with a quote from the article: "We don't burn books, we read them." http://bit.ly/d1SSDz

    ReplyDelete