Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How dirty is your window?

I'm sticking with this happiness thing for another post.

We've all heard the glass half empty-half full bit before, so I'll go in another direction. No matter how much good there is in our lives, we can always find something bad about it. And then focus on it. Over and over again until all we can see are the negative things in life. The same goes with relationships: co-workers, friends, significant others, spouses, parents, siblings, neighbors, etc.

But we can choose to look at people in a positive light. Sure, there are things about people that probably annoy us, irritate us, or upset us in some way, and we can choose to focus on those weaknesses or find and focus on the strengths of the people around us. Not only will it improve our mood, but it might also improve our outlook on the world, our lives, and the various relationships in our lives. Nobody is perfect, we all have faults, but I think it really is important to look for the good in everybody. I think that by doing that, soon we will notice that we are happier and more content with our circumstances in life. It's so easy to be critical and see the negatives and dwell on those, but what if we chose to do the opposite? If we focus more on what's good and right, won't our attitude eventually change to positive rather than negative?

I think this is why the Power of Intention works. According to the Law of Attraction (The Secret), a person's thoughts become his or her reality. So if we start seeing, thinking, and believing in the positive things, doesn't that mean our reality will consequently reflect those thoughts? I am confident that this works. If we only send negative thoughts out into the universe, what can we expect in return but negative things?

When I am having a bad day or I can only see the bad things, nothing goes my way. I walk into tables, I stub my toe, I drop things, I am unproductive. But when I feel good and I'm laughing and enjoying my life and the people around me, things go well. Very well. I sometimes even have a bounce in my step!

So, while it's easy to fall in and succumb to the negativity (because let's face it, it's all around us), try looking for the positives. Instead of critiquing your neighbor's refusal to mow his lawn, appreciate that his yard is so beautifully lush and green! If the glass window you're looking through is dirty, clean it and start looking for the positives. Focus on the strengths instead of the weaknesses. We all have faults, but shouldn't our strengths outweigh those? Write a list of all the things you like about each close person in your life. Then, next time you find yourself complaining about one of their faults, reflect back on that list and instead focus on a positive. Isn't it worth improving relationships? Isn't it worth improving your outlook? Isn't it worth improving your life?

Here's to thinking positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment