Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Manage this

Pause the positivity for a sec. I'm hopping back on my soap box.

Today I unleashed my inner witch at the gym. Here's the sitch. Knowing I had to stick around the town I work in for a mandatory evening event, I planned a long swimming workout to rid myself of nervous energy. The pool schedule, both online and posted at the gym, said it would be open for lap swim with one lane for family swim from 3:30 to 5:00. I hopped into the pool at 3:25. I was the only one. A few minutes later a guy jumped into the lane next to me. There was one remaining lane open, which is the one normally used for family swim. I was 14 laps into my routine when I was tapped, oh yes tapped, on the shoulder. I lifted my head, grabbed onto the pool ledge, and was greeted by a blurry male figure (my goggles were still on). He asked me to move to the middle lane where the other guy was swimming because he would be teaching a lesson in my lane. I said no. I asked why he couldn't use the family swim lane. He said there was another lesson going on there. I suggested he share the lane. He said he absolutely could not. The lanes in the teeny pool are so narrow that it's very uncomfortable to swim laps in a shared lane. These are not regulation sized lanes. In a fit of rage I jumped out of the pool, gathered my stuff, and walked to the lifeguard. I expressed my frustration, listened to her try to explain why the schedule would say lap swim when in fact it is not if lane priority is given to swim lesson instructors. PRIVATE instructors. Which means they are instructing NON-MEMBERS of the gym. I showered, dressed, blow-dried my hair, and practically ran to the front desk to make a "suggestion" to the pool manager. Guess what? He was in a meeting! Should I have expected anything else?

(Needless to say I left my phone number and said I expected a phone call this evening. As of right now, there hasn't been a phone call.)

**Update - I received a return phone call this morning. I aired my grievances in a polite manner and I felt they were well-received, however I know nothing else will be done. Too bad, it's a good gym...if only it were run better.

No comments:

Post a Comment