Monday, September 20, 2010

Yankee or Rebel?

I've always felt a strong tie to the South and Southern life. Maybe it's because my dad was born there, or that I spent a lot of time with my Georgia-raised grandfather as a kid. Or maybe I spent a past life living there?

I love most country music, although I will say that the slow, whiny, twangy songs make me turn the station. Upbeat country rock songs are my favorite. (Song of the South gets me singing every time, so does Sugarland, Carrie Underwood, and Shania). I love the idea of Sunday chicken after church, fishing with a cane pole (even though I am allergic to fish), and driving on a red dirt road. Somehow, southern living seems so much simpler than the New York rat race. Of course, I could be romanticizing the south, especially since I've never spent much time there. A week here or there, but nothing more. This is probably naive, but southern people seem to be more friendly, more welcoming, and more family-oriented. But I could never live there. I have an intense deathly fear of tornadoes! Give me the snow, sleet, and ice any day over a tornado. Maybe. Probably.

1 comment:

  1. There's definitely a different mentality down south. I've some family down near Daytona and they've a different pace for life down there. The more relaxed attitude I like. The bugs I don't. My mother always says the only good thing about the spiders in Florida would be that they wouldn't squish all over the floor when you smacked them dead.
    Yeah. Not a fan of that.
    By the way... will you still be blogging even after you turn thirty? I enjoy reading ^^

    ReplyDelete