Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Measure twice, cut once

Aiming for success in life is a good thing. But isn't life more than just a list of successes? Accomplishments feel good, but are they really a true measure of a person? Can a certificate or award represent what's in a person's soul? Or is life more than just paper awards and accolades?

As I prepare to write down this next thought, I am reminded of a saying about how people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I by no means think I live a flawless life, but I would rather be surrounded by a few humble, honest, and caring people than by those who like to boast about the wonderful things that they do on a daily basis. My time on this earth has been short, but from what I've witnessed it seems like the boasters are most often telling false tales (even though they are the ones whol ultimately gain recognition for their wondrous deeds), while the ones who remain quiet are the ones actually contributing to society in phenomenal ways.

President Obama gave his educational address to students across the country today, and one of the things he said that really struck me was to be the best person you can be. I think we could all benefit by living by these words, no matter what our political affiliation. I think if we all tried to be the best version of ourselves we could return the United States to a better place. And, I think we'd all be genuinely happier. Because after all, isn't that what life should be about?

A person's life should be measured not by how successful they were or how much money they made, but by the friends they kept, the people they helped, and the love they gave and received. That's my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment